Now That My Daughter Is Married, Should I Change Her Name on My Power of Attorney Form?


couple in a wedding


I have a durable power of attorney with my daughter as the attorney-in-fact. My daughter has married and has a new last name.  Do I need to change her surname on the power of attorney form, and if so, how do I go about this?


Your durable power of attorney is still effective, but it could cause some confusion. So the best solution is to sign a new power of attorney replacing the old one and using your daughter’s new name.

For more information about powers of attorney, click here.

This article was reprinted with the permission of  If you have any questions regarding the material in this article and how it applies to you, please contact Pearson Bollman Law at (515) 298-8850.

Related Posts
  • Navigating Iowa's Estate Tax: Strategies for Minimizing Your Tax Liability Read More
  • Preserving Your Legacy: Estate Administration and Probate in Iowa Read More
  • Is Your Trust Fully Funded? Read More